Thursday, August 19, 2010

My new blog :- Dedicated to the beautiful world of Mathematics

I was in my first grade, when I encountered my first horrible experience with mathematics. I was a wonderful memorizer. I prefer to memorize rather than work it out logically, mainly because recalling is faster than creating logical stuff. Remember, how we are taught math tables for the first time ? Most of us prefer to learn it by heart and not understand things logically. Same applies to things like multiplication, division, differentiation, integration etc... But, not learn things logically can create hell lot of problems. 

When I was in my first grade I was trying to learn tables of 9 by heart. 

9 X 1 = 9
9 X 2 = 18
9 X 3 = 27
9 X 4 = 36
9 X 5 = 45
9 X 6 = 54
9 X 7 = 63
9 X 8 = 72
9 X 9 = 81
9 X 10 = 90

is the tables. I was told multiplication is in fact nothing but addition. So, tables of two were very easy. Just keep adding two everytime. 2 x 1 = 2. For 2 x 2 just add 2 to previous number and so on. Learning tables this way was easy till the tables of 6. 7 was difficult but surprisingly I could memorize them. 8 was more difficult but my brain had more space. 9 was the most difficult of them all. I remember spending days together trying to learn the table of 9 by heart. It was impossible. My mom used to ask me what was 9 * 6 ... I couldn't answer. She asked for 6 * 9 ... I could answer.... It was then that I was introduced to commutative law. She asked me to remember all tables till 8. For table of 9, all I had to do was just recall all the table's 9th element. 9 * 10 was easy because all i had to do was just write 9 and append 0. 

Now, I became a little better. But, as I had told you, 7 and 8 tables were pretty difficult for me. So, my mom told me another tricky method. She asked me to remember table of 9 till 5. i.e 




9 X 1 =  09 (She added zero purposefully)
9 X 2 = 18
9 X 3 = 27
9 X 4 = 36
9 X 5 = 45


Then for the rest .. all I had to do was just reverse the number in the reverse direction ... 
i.e 

9 X 5 = 45   - 9 X 6 = 54  (Observe that the numbers are reversed .... )

9 X 4 = 36  -  9 X 7 = 63

9 X 3 = 27  -  9 X 8 = 72 

9 X 2 = 18   - 9 X 9 = 81

9 X 1 = 09   - 9 X 10 = 90 

It took more than a week to see and learn these things. I was amazed by this.

WOW !!!!!!! Was it same for other tables too ??? I tried ... but failed ..  The tables of 9 instantly became my favorite. But, for the exam we were asked to learn only till tables of 8. ..... Murphy's law ??!!!!


As time passed, I still remembered my first encounter with table of 9. It was in my college that I actually learnt that this property of number reversal is actually due to a reason. 

Try to prove ::: if 9 | (10x  + y) then 9 | (10y + x) when x,y belong to set of integers. 

Prime numbers exist and their properties are so very important. They are used in infinitely many places. I could get the essence of the very famous P vs NP problem from these prime numbers. These prime numbers have made the heads of greatest brains in the world spin. 

I am reading a few scriptures on number theory and probability theory. The more I read , more I want to ... 


This blog is a dedication to the beautiful world of mathematics and a small device which was originally created to make life of mathematicians easier and has now more takers than the subject of mathematics (Computers)....
 

4 comments:

  1. Super one DOOOD.....
    Keep it up....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best..Keep posting some interesting articles and you will have a nice blog discussing the beauty of math..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all ...

    There are just too many things to post about the beauty of math ... Will keep posting..

    ReplyDelete